3 de outubro de 2011

Modal Verbs


Galera,

fiz um resumão dos Modal Verbs que os alunos da Uptime vêem no capítulo 14 com exemplos. Acho que dá pra entender, mas caso algum tenha ficado confuso, please, let me know!

Qualquer dúvida é só postar um comentário que eu explico.



Modal Verbs

Can/could:
Ability – I can sing but I can’t play the guitar.

Permission/ prohibition – Can I go to the bathroom? (informal)
Could I use your bathroom? (formal) I couldn’t go to sleep after 10:00 when I was a child.

Possibility – You can/could get hurt playing American football.

Asking for help/favors: Could you open the window, please? (formal) Can you help me? (informal)

May: 
Permission/ prohibition (formal) – May I say my opinion? You may not enter the class if you are 10 minutes late.

Possibility – You may have problems in the test if you don’t study.

Might:
Remote possibility/ weather – We might not get to the party on time. It might rain tonight.

Must:
Obligation/ prohibition – You must wear a uniform at school. You mustn’t smoke inside restaurants.

Should:
Advice/ suggestion – You shouldn’t smoke.

Shall:
Invitation/ suggestion – Shall we have some pizza?

Let’s: 
Acceting invitations/ suggestion – Sure, let’s go! Let’s have a hamburger instead of pizza.

Would:
Hypothesis/ offers – If I had money I would travel to Europe. Would you like some water?

Used to:
Habits in the past – I used to play with Barbies, but I didn’t use to play soccer when I as a child.

Be used to:
Accostumed – I am used to teaching on Saturdays. I am not used to cold climates.

Be supposed to:
Expectations – Teachers are supposed to prepare lessons and be patient (It’s expected that teachers do that).

That's all for now folks!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário